Most of the time, I really want to get my required servings of vegetables per day, but it’s not always the most exciting thing in the world to “eat your vegetables”. And, it can get super boring if you’re used to having the same kind of preparation every day. This weekend, I thought of trying out Vegetable au Gratin. Now, usually any baked dish seems super complicated to me. However, once I tried this out, I was amazed by how easy it was to make. Here’s the recipe below to help you get your daily dose of vegetables, but in a tastier way.
Vegetables – Carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes and onions
Salt, pepper, garlic flakes and oregano
1. Chop all the vegetables you want to add, and boil them. Drain out all the water and keep them aside.
2. Chop up some tomatoes and onions and fry them well. Add the vegetables and lightly fry the mixture for about 10 minutes.
3. Mix 1 cup of milk with half a cup of flour and 1 tablespoon of butter. Add salt, pepper, garlic flakes, oregano and any other seasoning you wish to add.
4. Mix the above mixture well, and add it to the pan containing the vegetables, and cook on a low flame. The mixture will gradually thicken. Add some cheese as well (depending on how cheesy you want the mixture to be).
5. Once the mixture is thick enough, pour the mixture into a bowl for the dish to be baked. Remember to line the bowl with butter before adding the mixture.
6. Add some cheese shavings on top, and bake the dish. I actually don’t have an oven, so I used a microwave and it worked just fine. And once that’s done, your dish is ready. Mine looked exactly like this (much better than I had expected this to turn out).
Total Cooking Time: 30 – 45 mins
Serving Size: 3 – 4 people